Haunted Lighthouses

Haunted Lighthouses are all over the world. Most of them are in beautiful locations, guarding the shores and guiding ships to safety. From tragic tales of light keepers who don’t want to leave their posts, to souls of those lost at sea near the lighthouse, to the spirits of those who died on the lighthouse grounds, there are thousands of stories of haunted lighthouses. We read and researched tons of articles, books and stories in our question for fascinating stories to share. Here are just a few:


Point Vicente Lighthouse, near Los Angeles, CA

Point Vicente Lighthouse is located near the intersection of Palos Verdes Drive and Los Verdes Boulevard in the Ranchos Palos Verdes section of Los Angeles.  It’s located about a mile and a half from Marineland of the Pacific.

 

Owls Head Light, Owls Head, Maine

The booming lime trade of the 1820′s on Maine‘s midcoast led to the construction of a lighthouse on Owls Head, an area located at the entrance to Rockland Harbor, Maine. In 1825, President John Quincy Adams authorized the building of a lighthouse on a promontory south of Rockland Harbor in Penobscot Bay.

 

Carysfort Reef Lighthouse – Key Largo, FL

This lighthouse is located in a treacherous stretch of water that has seen more than its share of shipwrecks.  In addition, the area is home to a dangerous stretch of reef that has claimed numerous ships, including the one it was named for, the HMS Carysfort in 1770.

 

Georgetown (North Island) Light, Georgetown, SC

Located ten miles downstream from Georgetown, SC sits the North Island Lighthouse.  This seventy-two foot tall beacon was built around 1812.  The haunting of this lighthouse is said to be caused by the daughter of a former keeper who drowned tragically at the age of seven or eight.

 

Point Lookout Light, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland

The Point Lookout Lighthouse sits on a peninsula that marks the entrance to the Potomac River in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. The area was known as a pleasant vacation place prior to the Civil War. It was originally part of St. Michael’s Manor, which was owned by the first governor of Maryland. The point had been used as a summer resort, complete with beach cottages and a wharf. The addition of the lighthouse had served to add to the charm of the region.